2010/05/14

Medical Travel and Medical Tourism: "The Only Risk is Wanting to Stay"

"The Only Risk is Wanting to Stay"

That happens to be the slogan for Colombia - it used to be that Colombia was synonymous with drugs and kidnappings, and for some people this is still what they think of when they imagine this beautiful country. But today, this couldn't be further from the truth. For the last 8 years the President of Colombia, Alvaro Uribe, has cleaned the city of the drugs and corruption. It is no wonder the people of Colombia love their president.
Patients Without Borders has sent me to Colombia to visit some of their outstanding medical institutions. After a night spent at the Crowne Plaza Tequendama in a beautifully appointed room I was off to visit the Fundacion Cardioinfantil - Instituto De Cardiologia. The hospital was founded 35 years ago and provides medical attention to more than 1,200,000 patients a year. People come from all over the world to their International Center to take advantage of the latest technology available to medicine and the incredible savings that can be obtained when working with Patients Without Borders to facilitate medical care in Bogota.
The credentials of the physicians that work with the hospital are impressive. They employ graduates of Stanford, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Cornell and Harvard, just to name a few.
Next on the agenda - Clinica Colsanitas S.A. and Reina Sofia. Clinica Colsanitas is Colombia's leading enterprise in the areas of infrastructure, experience, coverage and service. It was established in 1991 as one of Colombia's first private Healthcare Sector institutions - it has seven business units, one of which is Clinica Reina Sofia.
Once I finished touring the hospitals and meeting with the staff, I was able to spend a few hours touring the city. I still cannot get over the towering mountains all around. The flowers are in bloom all set off by the warm reds of the old brick buildings which are so prevalent here.
For dinner I went to the wildly eclectic Andres D.C. - I promise you have never seen anything like it! The food was phenomenal. My first time having fried and flattened plantains with melted cheese. The decor was wildly original. I was even serenaded as an illustrious visitor to Colombia and given an "official" sash.
All in all a fantastic day. I am so excited by what is offered here in Bogota. To find out what options may work for you - contact us and learn more about this amazing city and the outstanding facilities here.
It is just about time for bed for me! We are an hour behind Eastern time here, so I am ready to get into my big cozy bed and turn on my sleeping cd! (You get THE coolest sleep amenities here - it could be a whole other blog!) I look forward to sitting down again tomorrow and sharing more of my experiences here in this lovely city.

Posted via web from E CO LOMBIA TOUR

No comments:

Post a Comment